Description: This transaction allows a PoS, or any OHIE component, to access terminological information in the terminology service to query for Concept Mpas. A typical example would be to request the set of Concept Maps whose target Code System is SNOMED CT. Mapping is frequently required when patient data is collected using Concepts/Codes from one Code System but the data must be reported or aggregated, say for decision support, in a different Code System. The set of such associated Concepts, usually for a specific use-case, are stored in the Terminology Service in a FHIR Resource called a ConceptMap.
Both external systems and systems inside the HIE may perform this transaction directly with the TS. The sequence diagram below shows the steps that occur for a system using this transaction.
- Query Concept Maps: What Concept Maps have a map target of 'SNOMED CT''?
Sponsor: Jack Bowie
Status: This operation has been extensively tested in FHIR Connectathons.
Referenced Standards and APIs
- The FHIR Concept Maps and supported search parameters are defined in: https://www.hl7.org/fhir/conceptmap.html. Searching in FHIR is described in https://www.hl7.org/fhir/search.html. HL7 FHIR Specifications v3.0 or higher support Concept Maps although Concept Map specifications are not yet normative. The response is a Bundle of Concept Map Resources satisfying the search parameters.
- This workflow implements the IHE IT Infrastructure Technical Framework Supplement - Sharing Valuesets, Codes, and Maps (SVCM) Transaction: Query Concept Map ITI-Y6.
- To translate (retrieve the mapping for) a code, see the Translate Code workflow.
Assumptions and Prerequisites
- The required Code Systems and Concept Maps have been preloaded into the Terminology Service.
- PoS - The point-of-service system or other HIE component that is querying for Concept Maps.
- TS - Stores the curated official version of the Concept Maps for the health system.
|1||Query Concept Map request||TS|
The Concept Map search request is triggered by a PoS or other HIE component.
Input: A set of FHIR search parameters.
|FHIR ConceptMap Resource|
|2.||Query Concept Map response||PoS||The response is sent back to the requesting system. Output: a Bundle of Concept Map Resources that satisfy the search parameters.||FHIR ConceptMap Resource|