Description: This transaction allows a PoS, or any OHIE component, to access terminological information in the terminology service to query for Value Sets. A typical example would be to request the set of Value Sets defined by WHO.
Both external systems and systems inside the HIE may perform this transaction directly with the TS. The sequence diagram below shows the steps that occur for a system using this transaction.
- Query ValueSets: What Value Sets have a publisher name that contains 'WHO'?
Sponsor: Jack Bowie
Status: This operation has been extensively tested in FHIR Connectathons.
Referenced Standards and APIs
- The FHIR Value Sets and supported search parameters are defined in: https://www.hl7.org/fhir/valueset.html. Searching in FHIR is described in https://www.hl7.org/fhir/search.html. HL7 FHIR Specifications v3.0 or higher support Value Set. The response is a Bundle of Value Set Resources satisfying the search parameters.
- This workflow implements the IHE IT Infrastructure Technical Framework Supplement - Sharing Valuesets, Codes, and Maps (SVCM) Transaction: Query Value Set ITI-Y1.
- To verify code membership (existence) in a Value Set, see the Verify Code Membership workflow.
- To expand (return the codes contained in a Value Set, see the Expand Value Set workflow.
Assumptions and Prerequisites
- The required Value Sets have been preloaded into the Terminology Service.
- PoS - The point-of-service system or other HIE component that is querying for Value Sets.
- TS - Stores the curated official version of the Value Sets for the health system.
|1||Query ValueSet request||TS|
The Value Set search request is triggered by a PoS or other HIE component.
Input: A set of FHIR search parameters.
|FHIR ValueSet Resource|
|2.||Query Value Set response||PoS||The response is sent back to the requesting system. Output: a Bundle of ValueSet Resources that satisfy the search parameters.||FHIR ValueSet Resource|