Description: This transaction allows a PoS, or any OHIE component, to access terminological information in the terminology service to verify that a code exists in a Code System. A typical example would be to validate that the codes contained in an incoming patient data message are, in fact, from a required code system, e.g. ICD-10 or LOINC.
Both external systems and systems inside the HIE may perform this transaction directly with the TS. The sequence diagram below shows the steps that occur for a system using this transaction.
- Existence: Is a Concept Code present in a specified Code System. E,g., is '123XYZ' a valid Code in the ICD-10 Code System?
Sponsor: Jack Bowie
Status: This operation has been extensively tested in FHIR Connectathons.
Referenced Standards and APIs
- The FHIR CodeSystem validate-code operation: http://build.fhir.org/codesystem-operation-validate-code.html. HL7 FHIR Specifications v3.0 or higher support validate-code. The response is a Boolean (true or false) based on whether the code exists in the specified CodeSystem.
- This workflow implements the IHE IT Infrastructure Technical Framework Supplement - Sharing Valuesets, Codes, and Maps (SVCM) Transaction: Validate Code ITI-Y5 for Code Systems.
- Once the code has been validated, additional code information, e.g. attributes, properties, etc., may be accessed via the lookup operation: http://build.fhir.org/codesystem-operation-lookup.html
- To verify code membership (existence) in a Value Set, see the Verify Code Membership workflow.
Assumptions and Prerequisites
- The required CodeSystems have been preloaded into the Terminology Service.
- PoS - The point-of-service system or other HIE component that is requesting to verify a code.
- TS - Stores the curated official version of the terminology and codes for the health system.
|1||Code verification request||TS|
The validate-code request is triggered by a PoS or other HIE component.
Input: A Concept Code and target Code System.
|FHIR CodeSystem Resource, $validate-code operation|
|2.||Code verification response||PoS||The response is sent back to the requesting system. Output: a True or False response.||FHIR CodeSystem Resource, $validate-code operation|