Description: This transaction allows a PoS, or any OHIE component, to access terminological information in the terminology service to verify that a code exists. A typical example would be to validate that the codes contained in an incoming patient data message are, in fact, from a required code system, e.g. ICD-10 or LOINC.
Status: This operation has been extensively tested in FHIR Connectathons.
Referenced Standards and APIs
- The FHIR CodeSystem validate-code operation: http://build.fhir.org/codesystem-operation-validate-code.html. HL7 FHIR Specifications v3.0 or higher support validate-code. The response is a Boolean (true or false) based on whether the code exists in the specified CodeSystem,
- Once the code has been validated, additional code information, e.g. attributes, properties, etc., may be accessed via the lookup operation: http://build.fhir.org/codesystem-operation-lookup.html
- To verify code membership (existence) in a Value Set, see the Verify Code Membership workflow.
Assumptions and Prerequisites
- The required CodeSystems have been preloaded into the Terminology Service.
- PoS - The point-of-service system or other HIE component that is requesting to verify a code.
- TS - Stores the curated official version of the terminology and codes for the health system.
title Verify Code Existence Workflow participant PoS participant IL participant CR participant HWR participant FR participant TS participant HMIS participant SHR PoS->TS:  Code verification request TS->PoS:  Code verification response
|1||Code verification request||TS|
The validate-code request is triggered by a PoS or other HIE component.
Input: A Concept Code and target Code System.
|FHIR CodeSystem Resource, $validate-code operation|
|2.||Code verification response||PoS||The response is sent back to the requesting system. Output: a True or False response.||FHIR CodeSystem Resource, $validate-code operation|