This transaction allows a PoS, or any OHIE component, to access terminological information in the terminology service to verify that a code is a member of defined value set. A typical example would be to validate that the codes contained in an incoming patient data message are, in fact, from a required value set, e.g. the HIV ValueSet..
Both external systems and systems inside the HIE may perform this transaction directly with the TS. The sequence diagram below shows the steps that occur for a system using this transaction.
- Membership: Is a Concept Code present in a specified Value Set. E,g., is Code '123XYZ' from ICD-10 a member of the HIV ValueSet.?
Sponsor: Jack Bowie (in collaboration with the Terminology Services Community)
Status: This operation has been extensively tested in FHIR Connectathons.
Referenced Standards and APIs
- The FHIR ValueSet validate-code operation: http://build.fhir.org/valueset-operation-validate-code.html. HL7 FHIR Specifications v3.0 or higher support validate-code. The response is a Boolean (true or false) based on whether the code is a member of the specified ValueSet,
- To verify code existence in a Code System, see the Verify Code Existence Workflow<link>.
Assumptions and Prerequisites
- The required ValueSets and associated CodeSystems have been preloaded into the Terminology Service.
- PoS - The point-of-service system or other HIE component that is requesting to verify a code.
- TS - Stores the curated official version of the terminology and codes for the health system.
title Verify Code Membership Workflow participant PoS participant IL participant CR participant HWR participant FR participant TS participant HMIS participant SHR PoS->TS:  Code verification request TS->PoS:  Code verification response
|1||Code verification request||TS|
The validate-code request is triggered by a PoS or other HIE component.
Input: A Concept Code, associated Code System and target ValueSet.
|FHIR ValueSet Resource, $validate-code operation|
|2.||Code verification response||PoS||The response is sent back to the requesting system. Output: a True or False response.||FHIR ValueSet Resource, $validate-code operation|