- The SHR should receive and store clinical documents for patients and respond to queries to retrieve a patients clinical documents.
- The SHR should be able to respond to queries for existing data about a patient that was received from the clinical documents.
Standards and Workflows
A core principle of the OpenHIE architecture is to allow the various infrastructure services (such as the SHR) to be interchangeable. Thus, the SHR must support some standard interfaces such that different implementation that are developed can be swapped in as needed. Various standards have been evaluated and the SHR community has decided that the core standards that an OpenHIE SHR must support are as follows:
- The interface standard: IHE's XDS.b profile - (technical specifications), Query for Existing Data (QED) (technical specifications) and the FHIR-based Mobile Health Documents profile (MHD) (technical specifications)
- The document standard: HL7 CDA release 2 content modules - (technical specifications)
- The document content standards: IHE's PCC profiles - (technical specifications)
The context in which an SHR should use the above standard profiles is described in the OpenHIE workflows that an SHR is required to support. Each of these workflows describes a particular interaction that an SHR must support. To be OHIE SHR component, the SHR application must be able to support the OHIE workflows listed below. Implementations may support only the workflows needed to support their use case: